With the cold weather, the first thing I think about is Hot Chocolate. I have tried most of the powders out there. There are some that are good and some that are flavored water, but I still think that the few extra minutes needed to make hot chocolate with milk, cocoa powder and sugar is totally worth it!
Now, with New Year's and a wedding coming very soon, I also move to my slim hot chocolate. It's got all the taste of a deep rich pot du chocolat, but with fewer calories (and a little less thick).
Heidi's Dark Hot Chocolate
2 tbsp. cocoa powder
1 packet of splenda
1 tsp. good vanilla extract
pinch of salt (you do need it, promise)
1 c skim or low-fat milk
Pour milk into a small pot and set stove-top to medium. pour all the rest of the ingredients in without shame and take a whisk and start to stir. The cocoa powder will resist the bath, but keep whisking, it will be a dark chocolate pool soon. Heat to drinking temp (the temp you want it at) but be careful not to boil the milk. Pour into your favorite warm weather cup and enjoy!
A few favorite additions of my own (all of these are to taste):
- Peppermint Schnapps - add after so as not to cook off any of the alcohol. For a "virgin" version, use a few drops of peppermint extract.
- Marshmellows - very few calories and always a fun addition. I love how they melt into gooeyness!
- Whipped Cream - there are a million versions available for whipped cream for every fat level.
- Dark Fruit Cordial - Any dark berry cordial (cherry or raspberry, just as examples). Again, you can also use the extracts for any of these flavors.
- Coconut flavoring - Yummy!!
- Orange liquor - Contreau or the like. It's a dark chocolate orange!